Blog

Fireplace Dangers

Fireplace Dangers

With winter now in full effect, many people will be utilizing their fireplaces to provide in home heat.  A couple of logs on the fire may provide a cozy atmosphere for a frigid day, but is your fireplace doing more harm than good?  Perhaps you are content with your house’s accommodations, but it could be time to switch to a more effective source of heat. Some fireplaces, if not maintained properly, can be very hazardous to your health. Fireplace dangers should be addressed immediately to ensure the safety of you and your family.

Most people are familiar with spring time allergies or pollen-based allergies, but did you know that winter-time allergies could be affecting your respiratory health?  Dust mites, mold, and smoke from your fireplace can lead to difficulty breathing such as wheezing, asthma, or respiratory infections.  You may also argue, “But I’m not breathing any smoke?”  This may be true, but the roaring fire could be sucking the humidity out of the air causing your sinuses to be dried and irritated.  This can lead to array of issues and also hinder you from getting a good night’s rest.

You may be a non-smoker and not concerned about the effects of other forms of smoke, but did you know that both wood and cigarette smoke are very similar?  Both contain carcinogens such as carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and even formaldehyde.  Some minor complications sparked from this could include headaches, coughing, or eye irritation.   These chemicals can also irritate the lungs and even cause lower respiratory infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia.  Being exposed to smoke from burning wood can also depress your immune system making you susceptible to other winter ailments.  Are you suffering from bronchitis or pneumonia?  Ask your doctor about utilizing nebulizer therapy to speed up your recovery.  Aeroflow has several different options at virtually no cost to you utilizing your insurance benefits.  Learn more at aeroflowinc.com.

Have you recently been diagnoses with chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD)?  Stoking the fire could be worsening your condition.  Irritants such as dust, mold, or fire from wood burning can exacerbate COPD episodes which may have otherwise been under control.  There is no cure for COPD, but there are many different options for treating it.  Inhalers, nebulizers, and oxygen therapy can all be utilized to treat this diagnosis and allow you to not be held back in your daily life.  Check out our website for more information about the different types treatment options we provide.

All of these options can be covered by your insurance policy.  Did you know that Aeroflow is in network with virtually every major insurance carrier?  We work with many doctor offices and utilize insurance contracting to find the most cost effective solution to provide excellent care to you.  Please be aware of the fireplace dangers you may be exposing yourself to and talk to your doctor if you think it is causing respiratory issues.

If you have further questions about how the process works or have some questions on what the first steps would be.  For these answers and more call us at 888-345-1780 or fill out our qualify through insurance form to start the process!

Share Button

VIEW BY BLOG CATEGORY

WHAT OUR PATIENTS ARE SAYING...
“I get oxygen and PAP supplies from Aeroflow. They are so quick and efficient, much better than other DMEs I’ve worked with.”
WHAT OUR PATIENTS ARE SAYING...
“Aeroflow is friendly on the phone and they send stuff out fast, which is important because my mother depends on them to live better.”
WHAT OUR PATIENTS ARE SAYING...
“I appreciate them calling me each month to ensure I don't forget to order supplies. I don't always remember, but they do!”